So you’ve gone gluten-free and now, flipping up your favourite brekkie is tougher than usual. It shouldn’t be. In no time flat, you can whip up a this everyday special treat and feel great eating it. Just tap into your new list of easy, no-gluten recipes, starting with these whole grain gluten-free pancakes made with buckwheat.
Nutritious as they are delicious, expect a light, fluffy, flavourful taste that will quickly become your morning crave. Nutrition Note: Contrary to its name, buckwheat is not a wheat relative (a no-no for the gluten-free among us), but is related to the no-gluten rhubarb plant. Plus, it has an amazing nutritional profile high in manganese, flavonoids and fibre and is a good source of tryptophan, magnesium and copper. In fact, studies have linked buckwheat to lowering of cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, risk of some types of cancer and diabetes and prevention of gallstones.
What’s not to love? Especially when it makes such a tasty gluten-free flour?
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE PANCAKES
Gluten Free Whole Grain Buckwheat Pancakes Ingredients
• 3/4 cup whole grain ground buckwheat
• 1/2 cup oat flour (ensure it is GF, if you are celiac or intolerant)
• 1/4 cup organic cornmeal (love the texture this imparts, but can be omitted)
• 1 Tbsp baking powder
• 1 Tbsp sugar of your choice (I used coconut sugar)
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 1 cup milk* (your choice, I used dairy)
• 1 egg
• 2 Tbsp oil of your choice (coconut, olive or butter, melted)
• 1 tsp vanilla
Combine dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
In another bowl, beat egg and stir in milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients into dry, mixing until combined. Adjust milk/flour if you want thicker or thinner batter. Pour batter onto heated pan, flipping once when browned.
You can dress up these babies with just about anything sweet and salty (ask your waistline before you decide – or better yet, don’t). Here are some topping ideas to make these pancakes extra special:
- Traditional butter and syrup
- Fresh strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream
- Crumbled bacon topped with syrup
- Walnuts and blueberries
- Peanut butter and sliced banana
* Substitute 1/2 cup of milk with soda water to make these pancakes even lighter and fluffier.