Warm weather is finally here. And it’s time to set your bare leg fears aside. Soon we’ll be doing it: Spraying on the sunscreen and letting our legs do the walking—in shorts. But first, we’ve gotta buy them. OK, calm down. Short shopping doesn’t have to be scary, and it’s got no age expiration date. In fact, especially for women over 35, there’s a science to it. And eye on the prize: Once you’ve succeeding in building the right pairs into your wardrobe, the versatility is endless. No longer strictly weekend wear, warm weather shorts can take you to work and even for that special night out. So how do you choose the right shorts for your body? Keep in mind that shorts no longer have to be literally short, or tight. In fact, the options are plentiful and the possibilities—for all body types—are endless.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE PERFECT SHORTS FOR YOU
There are some general rules that will help guide the shorts shopping experience:
- First off, think about what you want your shorts for. Are they for work or play? Day or night?
- Make sure your shorts always sit above the knee by at least 2 – 3 inches, regardless of your height. Shorts that fall at the knee or below are not flattering on anyone.
- Keep in mind the spring trends. This season is all about enhancing your curves, being playful in the details and being bold in your textile choices.
- Consider how long or short you’ll go. (You may need to try the bend over test so you don’t undershoot the mark.)
- Choose a higher waisted version to enhance your leg length.
- Look to brands like Loft or Long Tall Sally that offer petite and tall sizing to get the proper fit and inseam length. You don’t want your shorts riding up in all the wrong places (we’re officially stating that we’re against wedgies and camel toe)
- Consider a flowy, skirt-like culotte short for comfort and style, especially if you’re a little self conscious.
OUR TOP SHORTS PICKS FOR WOMEN 35+
1. THE WORK SHORT To rock shorts at work, it’s all about length and pairing. Check out Banana Republic’s matching royal blue cropped sateen jacket with Bermuda shorts. The symmetry created by the suit jacket and shorts, alongside the visual balance achieved by wearing the same colour from top to bottom, make this a simple, polished look to wear to the office, for regular and petite sized women alike. Bermuda Shorts: $62.00 Cropped Sateen Jacket—$205.00
2. THE HIGH-WAISTED SHORT When you want to enhance the length of your leg (and who doesn’t?), go for a high-waisted short. Artizia’s Greenwood shorts, complete with pockets, are a stunningly simple, yet versatile example. These shorts are not only comfortable but they will take you just about anywhere, especially in black. Pair them with a form-fitting jersey shirt or a crop top that shows just a sliver of skin, and you will look and feel fantastic. This is a look we all can rock. Greenwood High Waisted Short—$48.00
3. THE TAILORED SHORT If you’re looking for a tailored pair of shorts that will look polished but also hug your curves, have a look at the Madison Ave. collection for Kate Spade. The Majory short, with its bold but simple green and white floral pattern, is tailored perfection. Cinched at the waist and loose through the leg, you’ll see your body in a new light in these. That’s because the Majory will instantly frame your curves while lengthening your legs. The Majory Short—$348.00
4. THE CULOTTES SHORT If you’re looking for a softer, more feminine short, you’re in luck this year. Because culottes are in style, they are appearing in a shorter version as well. Want to show off your legs but hate the tight feeling of shorts? Check out Oasis’s pleated culotte shorts in coral, found online at ASOS. The clever pleating at the front supported by the longer leg length is flattering on just about every body shape. These flowy shorts will make you feel feminine and comfortable all at once. Yes, it is possible. Soft and pretty, these just may be your go-to shorts from morning into night. Oasis Culotte Short—$63.47
5. THE PARTY SHORTS Got a special occasion coming up? You may want something a little more out of the box, something that will help you stand out—subtly—from the crowd. Ted Baker’s playsuit in pure Peony print is it. The juxtaposition of floral print against a simple colour block bottom, which is ideal for the less busty and extra curvy is all you need. Fun, flirty and easy to wear, just pair this set with a simple sandal and cuff and you’ll be comfortable and unforgettable, all at once. Playsuit—$336.40
Featured Image: Petite Metro Shorts, Ann Taylor (online only)—$75.27