Oh, pasta. How we adore you, and try sometimes to ignore you, and then adore you even more. It’s an old story. We’ve got a love-hate-love relationship with our beloved carbohydrates, this fabulous food group that creates dishes so divine we never, ever want to stop eating. Except maybe to breathe. We can’t live without our noodles, and why should we? They’re everything we need to get all fuelled up after the coffee wears off, but we can’t deny that now and again, our hips do tend to rebel if we go carb crazy. So we choose them carefully.
Imagine this: What if there was one day where you could celebrate all things pasta and feel great about doing it? We’ll take it, and then some. Surprise! October 17th is National Pasta Day and we are rejoicing. So we challenge you to cook up the perfect dish to satisfy your ever-present craving for this deliciously filling food.
To honour starchy stuff we love, Toronto’s favourite casual Italian restaurant Levetto is letting one of their most beloved recipes out of the vault: The Classic Carbonara, courtesy of Executive Chef Shahir Massoud. Ready to celebrate twisting greatness on a fork?
Here’s your guide to how to make Levetto’s simple and delectable and simply delectable pasta carbonara.
LEVETTO’S CLASSIC PASTA CARBONARA
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 75g bacon or pancetta
- 1/4 of a scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1 sprinkle of salt
- 1 egg
- 10g grana padano
- 8 ounces fresh pasta
WHAT YOU DO:
1. In a pan, toast black pepper until fragrant, render bacon until crispy, add salt, and toss in scallion just to coat (we want the onion to keep it’s colour).
2. In salted, boiling water (should taste like the ocean) cook pasta until al dente.
3. Add pasta to pan with bacon along with a splash of the starchy cooking water.
4. Take the pan off the heat, toss in the egg, and stir to create create a creamy sauce.
5. Top with grana padano or parmigiano and more scallion.
Recipe by Executive Chef of Levetto, Shahir Massoud. Critically-acclaimed family favourite Levetto makes simple, delicious offerings: homemade Italian salads, authentic Romana pizzas, and fresh pasta daily. Levetto currently has 6 locations in Ontario.