Do you live to snack on sweet delights? Obviously. But just like 35 per cent of Canadians, we’re forcing ourselves to healthy up our snacks this year. That means looking for better, more nutritious alternatives. Imagine enjoying a protein-filled treat instead of stuffing your face with chocolate bars, cookies, chips and other empty calories you’ll hate yourself for.
The best news ever: Gay Lea’s new protein-packed snack will satisfy our tummies and our taste buds at the same time. Think smooth cottage cheese in flavours we crave like lemon, salted caramel, vanilla bean. Geniusly made smooth for easy eating and baking, this brand new snack-friendly cottage cheese has all the benefits without the lumps anywhere. And we love it.
WHY WE LOVE GAY LEA SMOOTH COTTAGE CHEESE
Well, for one, it’s the perfect snack food. Each serving has:
- 10 g protein
- Just 110 calories
- 25% of your daily calcium needs
Plus, it’s ideal for baking into your favourite recipes, and since it’s gluten-free, it opens up a whole world of options for everyone. (You know we love baking with cottage cheese. Remember this heavenly Cherry Cheesecake?)
Ready to try your hand at a crave-worthy 30-minute recipe featuring Gay Lea Smooth Cottage Cheese? Sure you are.
GAY LEA SMOOTH COTTAGE CHEESE RECIPES
Lemon Cheese Fritters
Prep time: 30 minutes
Makes about 2 dozen fritters.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 single serve Gay Lea Nordica Smooth Lemon
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp Gay Lea Spreadables Butter (original), divided
- Icing sugar and fresh berries for garnish
WHAT YOU DO
1. Stir flour with icing sugar, salt, and baking soda until combined. Blend in smooth cottage cheese and egg until a thick batter forms.
2. Heat 1 tbsp Spreadables butter in a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat.
3. Drop well-rounded spoonfuls of mixture onto heated skillet. Flatten slightly with a spatula. Fry for 2 minutes per side until golden.
4. Repeat with remaining batter, adding extra butter to skillet between batches as needed.
5. Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar and garnished with fresh berries.
Pro Tip: Make fritters ahead and reheat in a 350 degree F oven, laid out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Heat for 5-8 minutes or until warmed through. For a different flavou, replace Smooth Lemon with Smooth Vanilla Bean or top with warmed raspberry, cherry, or blueberry preserves.
Cookie Caramel Cheesecake (for 1!)
Prep Time: 30 minutes plus time for chilling
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 chocolate sandwich cookies, divided
- 2 tsp melted Gay Lea salted butter
- 1 single Gay Lea Nordica Smooth Salted Caramel Cottage Cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp milk
- Gay Lea whipped cream (optional)
WHAT YOU DO
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Finely crush 2 cookies in a mini chopper or food processor.
3. Stir with melted butter and press into a heat-proof, 8 oz ramekin.
4. Blend smooth cottage cheese with egg yolk and milk.
5. Roughly crumble remaining cookie and fold into cheese mixture. Pour over crust.
7. Cool to room temperature and chill before serving. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
Pro Tip: For a different taste, replace the Nordica Salted Caramel with the Vanilla Bean flavour. Or replace the chocolate sandwich cookies with peanut butter cookies.
Want to make these recipes or just dip your spoon? You can buy Gay Lea Smooth at major grocery stores for $3.99-$4.99/4 cups. Because YUM.
Although this post was sponsored by Gay Lea, all opinions—as always—are ours.