It’s that time of year again. We’re pouting that summer is ending but thrilled that fall fashion has arrived. Is this you? Wearing next to nothing as you shop for fall? Welcome to the multitasking life of a fashionista.
Truth: In the fashion world, this is a very important time of year—when we start to think about transitioning our most precious spot, the closet. While that goal may seem a little daunting especially when all you want to do right now is have drinks on the dock, it’s really quite simple. Just keep these tips in mind as you stock up on fall style.
5 STRATEGIES TO HELP TRANSITION YOUR WARDROBE FOR FALL
1. Layer, layer, layer. It’s hard to see summer end, but if it’s any consolation, I happen to think that some of the best styles of the new season are en route to stores right now. Keep your eyes peeled for versatile layering pieces like this go-with-everything cardigan from Banana Republic or this you’ll-have-it-forever moto jacket from Andrews. Either piece can easily be thrown over a tank or tee on a cool summer night and you can count on both to be mainstays of your closet as we move into fall.
2. Not just for winter anymore. When you think of boots and booties, you may automatically think cold weather but in fact, they’re more versatile than that. And there is no reason why you can’t wear these booties from TNT The New Trend with a flowy little dress or skirt right now (sans opaque tights, of course). Same applies for our fabulous hat from Honey, which you can wear with the “Martinis and Manolos” tee from Mendocino and fabulous Current/Elliot jeans from Honey.
3. Buy now, wear now (and forever!). These picks are truly seasonless, so do yourself a favour, and don’t save them. These pieces don’t read as belonging to any particular season and therefore can be worn—whether it’s leaves, rain drops or snow flakes falling outside. A great example: this plaid blouse from Judith & Charles. With pink as the predominant colour, the plaid is neither too heavy for spring nor too wimpy for fall. Think about pairing it with a short A-line black skirt right now and with leather pants from Andrews when temps start to drop.
4. Stay on trend. By incorporating a très au courant piece into the mix, you’ll be in fashion command no matter what the season. These days, the retro Adidas “Superstar” is grabbing all the spotlight and for good reason. They just have a way of adding that cool factor to any outfit.
5. Bling me up, Scottie! Accessorizing really has nothing to do with transitioning because of course, accessories are staples no matter what the season. You can add great bling or an interesting fashion accoutrement to the mix without trying to hard. Check out this great bag from M0851 or this cool chain necklace from Banana Republic. Either (or both!) will make your look just that much more memorable.