I used to think that the only way to achieve a deep dark 80s tan was to fry my skin to a crisp first. Tell me I’m not the only one. Oh how I wished I was one of those rare girl breeds who was born with olive colouring that simply faded to bronze in the sun. Nope. Just my luck, I was blessed with my grandfather’s pale, freckled skin, the sensitive kind that needs protecting at all costs—but wasn’t. I was getting a tan, dammit. And if I had to burn and blister and even peel to get there, well, so be it.
How insensitive can you be, right?
Well, good thing tans eventually went out of style, and we all grew up to face the fact that our faces are worth saving before we let the sun destroy them. Thankfully, I was smart enough—and vain enough—to get with the sunscreen program with just a few lines and some extra freckles as collateral damage. It could have been so much worse.
These days, skin cancer is the most common type of cancer. It is also one of the most preventable. One in every three cancers diagnosed worldwide is a skin cancer, 80-90% of which are caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation, and as time goes on, the stats are looking gloomier.
Did you know that Canadians born in the 1990s have two to three times higher lifetime risk of getting skin cancer (1 in 6) than those born in the 1960s (1 in 20)? Or that there are more new cases of skin cancer each year than the number of breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers combined? Or that a single severe sunburn in childhood may double one’s risk of developing melanoma?
It’s true that I hate wrinkles (what woman in her right mind doesn’t?) but as an adult, I now realize that my skin reflects more than just beauty. It reflects my lifestyle choices, and that’s why I always choose products that put my health and wellness first. The fact is, I have sensitive skin, and I’m now sensitive to that fact. And if you’re like me, you should be choosing a sunscreen that does its job to protect it and then using it in your everyday skincare routine, for daily sun protection and its anti-aging benefits.
Why We Love AVEENO® Sunscreens
When it comes to sunscreen for sensitive skin like mine, I love the AVEENO® products, especially the AVEENO® PROTECT+ HYDRATE Sunscreens and the new and improved AVEENO® ACTIVE NATURALS® Sensitive Skin SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen.
Here’s everything you need to know about both:
- Not only does this sunscreen lotion provide effective broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection, it also hydrates and nourishes skin all day, keeping it soft and supple
- Lotion comes comes in SPF 30, 45 and 60 depending on your skin type, so you can switch it up
- The ACTIVE NATURALS® oat formula leaves your skin feeling soft, smooth and healthier-looking than before you went in the sun
- The formula is waterproof, sweat proof, oil-free and can be used on both your face and body
Price : $14.59-15.79 CAD / 81mL
AVEENO® ACTIVE NATURALS® Sensitive Skin SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen
- This newly reformulated premium sunscreen is formulated with naturally sourced 100% zinc oxide and Active Naturals® Oat to combine effective broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection with skin soothing benefits
- New, improved clear-drying formula nourishes and protects sensitive skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays
- It’s free of all parabens, phthalates, dyes, fragrances, and traditional (chemical) sunscreen filters
- It’s dermatologist recommended, non-irritating, hypoallergenic and water-resistant (80 minutes)
Price: $15.99 – $19.99 CAD / 88 mL
Available at food, drug and mass merchandisers nationwide or from the Aveeno website.
Get protected, you sun lovers!
Note: We were compensated for the writing of this story. All opinions are our own.