There are tons of movies we’re waiting in line to see but none quite as much as those based on comic books. I can see you shaking your head. You’re pretty sure superhero movies are just for teen boys, aren’t you? Think again. You need to get up to speed on this hot (in more ways than one) genre—just in time for the release of the newest superhero blockbuster to hit theatres, Avengers: Age of Ultron. Gone are the days of the old POW!, BAM!, and WHAM! overlays, cackling villains twirling greasy moustaches, and Underoo outerwear. Modern comic book movies are anything but campy, cheesy entertainment—and everything us woman will love. Stan Lee, former president and chairman of Marvel Comics and arguably the biggest non-superhero god in the comic craze world, had this to say about the success of superhero movies:
WHY YOU’LL FALL FOR SUPERHERO MOVIES
1. THE SUPER SEXY HEROES Alright, let’s get the obvious out of the way. Pure brute strength, in the form of muscles and abs in all the right places, is a sure hit with us. Whether it’s covered by spandex, leather or metal, gimme some more eye candy. Please.
2. THE EQUALLY HOT VILLAINS Never before have bad guys had the potential to outshine good guys like they do in superhero movies. Dark and devilishly handsome, these creepy dudes make our shrieks more hoot than holler.
3. THOSE BADASS FEMALES Women are no longer happy with just sitting around on the sidelines waiting for a hero to swoop in and save them. Oh yes. Badass super heroines are featured front and centre and kick as much ass as the boys do.
4. THE NON-STOP ACTION Here’s a myth you need to get over: that explosions and well-choreographed fight scenes are for men only. Sorry guys, but we like to watch stuff get blown up as much as you do.
5. THE GIMME-SOME ROMANCE A sudden kiss from a hunky fighter in tights is about as hot as it gets. And a doomed romance (SPOILER ALERT), like that of Captain America and Peggy Carter, pulls our heart strings in all the right ways. We are women, after all. Sob.
6. THE EXPERT STORYTELLING Not even the best action sequences and best looking men can save a film if the writing sucks. Give us a thoughtful story wrapped in conflict and emotion (and a big bag of popcorn) and we’re in.
7. THE BELLY LAUGHS These movies are more than action, romance and great looks. You can also count on some smart one-liners delivered in dramatic style to lighten the mood. Now that’s entertainment.
8. THE INTERTWINING STORY LINES The Marvel Cinematic Universe is for smart people. It’s known for dropping hints about past and future movies into current films. From Iron Man to Thor to The Avengers, if you pay attention, you’ll catch expertly placed props, people and script references that tie the movies together and keep you hooked.