As Summer nears, we all want to look and feel fresh – which can be hard when we see lines forming on our faces. What to do? Here at BrazenWoman, we don’t judge what you do in the name of beauty. Whether you’re into growing out or covering your grey, trying photorejuvenation laser therapy, injectables, smooth tanning bronzer or going au naturel, we are all for whatever makes you feel great. For those toying with the thought of fillers – Botox or some other injectable – we’re here to give you the scoop. Cosmetic plastic surgeon Dr. Sean Rice weighs in below on everything you need to know about the top 5 non-surgical injectables to smooth your skin this season.
YOUR GUIDE TO BOTOX AND OTHER INJECTABLES
1. RESTYLANE & PERLANE Injectable or dermal fillers like Restylane, Restylane Fine Lines and Perlane add volume to facial contours and are used to accentuate eyebrows, smooth under-eye hollows, enhance lips, increase volume in the upper cheek and naso-labial region, and define contours of your cheek, chin and jaw line. They are also used to fill acne scars, camouflage early jowls and to make changes in shape or symmetry of your face by softening a bulbous nose tip or removing a ski jump depression on the nose.
2. SELPHYL Selphyl is a way of extracting platelets from the patient’s own blood and injecting the growth factors from the platelets to provide a more youthful appearance. Selphyl can be used for anti wrinkle treatment on any part of the face – for eye wrinkles, lip wrinkles, neck wrinkles, marionette lines, smile lines and more.
3. SCULPTRA This injectable uses poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) microparticles to fill in the areas where people lose volume in their face. It’s great for people who are developing jowls, marionette lines or cheeks that are sunken in.
4. JUVEDERM VOLBELLA Kiss fish lips goodbye with Juvéderm Volbella, a new hyaluronic acid-based gel enhanced filler with painkilling Lidocaine created specifically for the lips. Volbella is a softer, smoother gel that allows for easier injection and its patented Vycross technology produces greater lift capacity and longer lasting results. It’s lower HA concentration also means that it is less likely to absorb water resulting in reduced swelling and a more natural result.
5. BOTOX, DYSPORT & XEOMIN Often used in conjunction with fillers, neuromodulators like Botox, Dysport and Xeomin temporarily block nerve receptors on the muscle to prevent the muscle contractions that cause lines and wrinkles. Made with Botulinum Toxin Type A, neuromodulators are used to treat crow’s-feet, horizontal forehead lines and down-turned corners of the mouth. Remember: When using injectables, it’s vital to avoid hitting a vein or the patient will end up with a giant bruise. Delicate areas like the face have a number of veins and it’s sometimes difficult to find a safe injection point. Rice Cosmetic Surgery is the first in North America to use the Vein Viewer for aesthetic purposes. Featured on the Doctors and Doctor Oz, the Vein Viewer provides an easier and more efficient way to find patients veins. Projected near-infrared light is absorbed by the blood but reflected by surrounding tissue. It captures the information, processes it and projects a digital image of the patient’s blood pattern within the vein directly on the surface of the skin much like on a movie screen.
Dr. Sean Rice, founder and director of Rice Cosmetic Surgery, is a renowned plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgeon and is widely recognized for his published articles in Canadian and international medical journals. Rice Cosmetic Surgery provides personalized treatment plans along with detailed and compassionate care that ensures the specific goals of each patient are achieved. For more information, visit www.doctorseanrice.com. Featured Image photo credit: ekai via photopin cc Post photo credit: thinkpanama via photopin cc