Prints are everywhere, every season, but they are especially fun in springtime when the flowers are blooming and we want in on the action. Get ready to embrace stripes, zig zags, geometrics and painterly prints. They are all back in a big way. Then there’s the floral print, continuing its supreme reign this season. We’re delighted to see that flowers are popping up outside and just like last year, we are welcoming them into our wardrobes. I know what you’re thinking—and saying in your best Miranda Priestly imitation—Florals? For Spring? Groundbreaking. Well, it’s time to get some fashion facts straight. Floral prints are here to stay. And if you’re going to have pretty petals at the root of your closet for decades to come, it’s best to get prepared. To help you work on that fashion green thumb STAT, we’ve got some tips to keep in mind when it comes to embracing the floral trend.
HOW TO WEAR SPRING FLORALS YOUR WAY
1. ANCHOR THEM WITH SOLIDS The great thing about a floral printed piece—whether it’s a top or bottom—is that you already have a monochromatic counterpart in your closet. We love when that happens: outfit fait accompli with little effort. Think of it as similar to planting wildflowers. It just happens!
2. BLEND THEM TOGETHER In case you’re wondering, yes, you can pair floral print with floral print, just as long as you keep the scall and overall colour scheme in mind. Try to pair your blouse with smaller-sized petals paired with a skirt sporting oversized flora in the same colour palette. That’s a real showstopper look that’s bold and subtle all at the same time.
3. MIX THEM WITH PRINTS You can also pair your florals with other prints. Again, keep the scale and overall colour palette in mind. What you don’t want to do is overwhelm the outfit or allow the prints to compete. If one print is very bold, the other should be more subtle. Think: The Sandro Ferrone skirt, featured in below, paired with a white and navy striped top.
4. TOUGHEN THEM UP If floral prints feel a little too precious for you, you can still wear them. All you have to do to toughen up the look is add a more masculine element, such as topping a floral dress with a motorcycle jacket, for instance.
5. WEAR THEM AS ACCESSORIES If you’d prefer to tiptoe through the tulips when it comes to this trend, great. Accessories are an easy way to wear a trend without too much investment. Just pick up a floral printed pump or handbag embellished with an oversize flower instead of wearing going all fleur from head to toe.
6. PUNCTUATE WITH COLOUR All prints—including florals—look great with a pop of colour. This season, we’re loving all shades of purple from violet to aubergine. Choose your favourite hue to play in safe or try something very on trend to spice up your look. Want to cover yourself in flowers? Scroll through these photos. Unfortunately they’re not scratch and sniff.
All fashions pictures can be found at Bayview Village Shops in Toronto. Visit their website for more information.