Pssst, listen up. Although this post is sponsored by Audible, as usual, all opinions are brazenly ours.
Why is it that the older we get, the better we are at listening? Is it just me who’s talking less and less and listening more and more? Whether it’s listening to other people’s perspectives, listening to music, or best of all, listening to audiobooks, I’m all ears. That last one—audiobooks—is the biggest surprise. I used to be an old-fashioned flip-them-pages reader—until, thanks to Audible, I discovered the wonderful world of audiobooks and how they seamlessly fit into life.
The best part about audiobooks is I can read, learn and be entertained without having to locate those damn reading glasses or shut everyone out of my house to carve out alone time. I can still go about the business of multi-tasking without having to seal out the world or stop what I’m doing. A great book is meant to be enjoyed. And now it can be—anywhere, while doing anything. That’s why as the holidays approach, I’m tuning into Audible all the time, and as I do, it appears I’m becoming a happier, nicer, more capable version of me (or so says my family).
Believe it or not, that’s me, listening to The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck in my car during rush hour, not honking, not swearing like a truck driver at the jerk who just cut me off because I’m too absorbed in being empowered to give a f*ck. That’s also me whipping up my own cranberry sauce from scratch of my own free will, and even happily scrubbing pots—all because I need to hear what happens next in the beautiful, harrowing novel The Tattooist of Auschwitz. And yes, that’s also me hanging on every word Michelle Obama chooses to describe her childhood on the South Side of Chicago while I’m sipping wine in the bath, trying on and discarding sparkly outfits without sweating, taking my time applying liner on my lids, even enjoying the mind-numbing task of wrapping gifts. And as soon as there’s some holiday downtime, you can bet I’ll be tuning in to more Audible top picks on the plane, on the beach, in the gym, and while walking the dogs.
In case you can’t tell, Audible is addictive in the best way. As the world’s largest library of audiobooks and other spoken-word content, this membership was created for busy people like me who feel guilty because they don’t have more time for books. Its extensive, continually growing library includes the best titles from around the world. But with more than 360,000 audio programs, where do you start?
How about with our top listens this holiday season.
The Brazen Top 10 Audiobooks for the Holiday Season
1. Becoming, written by Michelle Obama, narrated by Michelle Obama
4. Girl, Wash Your Face, written by Rachel Hollis, narrated by Rachel Hollis
5. I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn’t), written by Brene Brown, narrated by Lauren Fortgang
6. The Tattooist of Auschwitz, written by Heather Morris, narrated by Richard Armitage
7. A Ladder to the Sky, written by John Boyne, narrated by Richard E. Grant, Richard Cordery, Nina Sosanya and Laurence Kennedy
8. Foe, written by Iain Reid, narrated by Jacques Roy
9. Get Over Your Damn Self, written and narrated by Romi Neustadt
10. The Other Woman, written by Sandie Jones, narrated by Clare Corbett
Of course, now that you’re privy to the wonder of audiobooks, it’s no time to be selfish. Audible is the perfect gift for everyone on your list so every one of them can kick off 2019 by becoming happier, more capable people, too.
Give the gift of great listening at Audible.ca’s gift centre, by choosing 1 month, 3 month, 6 months or 12 months of membership (depending how much you love that person). Or you can even gift one title either by purchasing or using one of your own credits!
All gift memberships include:
- 1 credit per month, good for any audiobook regardless of price
- 30% off additional audiobooks in exclusive member-only savings
- Access to ad-free exclusive audio shows
- Your own audio library — you keep your books even after membership
- Easy exchanges. Don’t love a book? Swap it for free
Learn more about getting started with Audible or gifting possibilities by visiting adbl.co/BrazenWoman.