Old wisdom tells us that snacking between meals is a good way to get plump. But new wisdom says it’s a great way to keep you from overstuffing at meal time. Who’s right? As usual, the healthiest truth is somewhere in the middle. The fact is, snacking has gotten a really bad rap. It’s actually a terrific way to rev up your metabolism and keep you energized and satisfied. But don’t race to the fridge too fast—because the benefits of snacking depend on you. If you don’t choose the right foods, then your mid-day noshes can destroy your diet. And nobody wants that.
Ready for some keep-in-your-back-pocket snacking tips? These are the best snack foods for a lean, mean body and tons of energy. And bonus: They’re followed by a homemade recipe you’ll enjoy whenever you need just the right snack to hit that empty spot.
THE 5 VERY BEST SNACK FOODS FOR WEIGHT LOSS
1. Hard boiled eggs. There’s no denying the nutrition in eggs. so boil a bunch and keep them on hand. The best way to make sure they’re around when you want one? Make half a dozen at the beginning of the week and then store them in the home or office fridge for when you need a satisfying, healthy snack.
2. Roasted chickpeas. This snack is a crunchy and satisfying treat that’s also good for you. It’s especially delicious if you are craving something salty. And remember: You can buy them pre-made or make a batch easily at home. For a savoury twist, add spices like cumin and chili powder to boost the flavour without adding unnecessary calories.
3. Protein shake. Can’t stop dreaming about the sweets inside the freezer? Nothing kills that diet-crushing ice cream craving like a cold, frothy protein shake. You’ll get that nice, cold feeling as it goes down and you won’t have to worry about where all the calories will land. Oh, and keep in mind that this one is wonderful for muscle recovery after a hard workout.
4. Homemade granola bars. Granola bars don’t have to be full of filler ingredients your body doesn’t need. To make sure they’re made with exactly what you want, just bake your own—using sugar substitutes like agave nectar. Don’t forget to toss in all your favourite fruits and nuts. The point here is to get creative with textures and flavours.
5. My very own dried fruit concoction. For a snack you’ll love and want to share, here it is: my number one healthy snack choice right now. It’s easy to throw together so you’ll want to keep these few key ingredients in your kitchen for when the craving hits. Because it will—again and again and again.
Take a sliced dried apple and top it with almond butter. Then toss some coconut shavings and cinnamon on top. The taste is out of this world, and best of all, it’s great for your body!
Now you’ve got the foods you need to rev up your energy. What about foods to help you look young? We’ve got those too.