Looking to impress your crowd this holiday season with little effort and a lot of kudos? If you’re a fan of pralines, sweet potatoes and decadent toasted marshmallow, get your drool on with this ridiculously easy Sweet Potato Gratin. Sure it’s decadent and delicious and rife with pecans and butter. But it also has sweet potatoes (which are good for you, right?). OK, this really is the vegetable dish that eats like a dessert. So grab your prettiest casserole dish and get cooking.
Sweet Potato Gratin with Toasted Marshmallows
Note: You can make this recipe a day ahead. Just prepare the sweet potatoes and the gratin, cover with foil, and refrigerate. When you’re ready, preheat the oven, bake, and top with marshmallows.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4-5 large sweet potatoes
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup small pecan pieces
- Mini marshmallows
WHAT YOU DO
- Wash the sweet potatoes and place in a large pot of boiling water. Cook until the potatoes are just tender. Don’t overcook. Cool in cold water and set aside. When ready to use, peel by sliding the skin right off. No knife required.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar and butter. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, combine until crumbly. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in ½ inch rounds. Place around the bottom of a 9 x 12 inch baking dish, forming the first layer. Sprinkle on 1/3 of the pecan mixture. Repeat two more times until you have three layers. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with mini marshmallows. Broil until the marshmallows are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at BrazenWoman. We wish you a fabulous day with family and friends. So pull on those stretchy pants and dig in.
What’s your recipe for giving thanks?