I know, I know. You’re reading the title of this post — How to Make the Best Bouillabaisse in 20 Minutes or Less — and you’re sure I’m out to lunch. Or dinner. Somewhere fabulous. Like one of the top restaurants in Toronto or New York or Miami, where, on the pretense of heading to the Ladies’ Room, I’ve snuck into the kitchen to take phone pics to pass off on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest as my very own culinary creation.
Well, guess what? I’m having lunch in today—and I’ll be enjoying a warm meal like none other. That’s because last night, I made easy, spicy bouillabaisse and it’s just as delicious the day after.
You. Need. This. Recipe.
Just one taste of the spicy tomato broth loaded with fresh seafood will make everyone crave it for a week. Make enough, though, because there’s no chance it will last in your fridge. Before you know it, you’ll be strapping on the apron and getting set to make it again. And again, and again and again.
Lucky for you and everyone else you cook for, this recipe really is that quick, and that easy. So without further ado, I’ll shut up and let you get cooking.
QUICK AND SIMPLE SPICY BOUILLABAISSE
Takes 20 minutes or less. Serves 10-12.
- It’ll take you longer to buy the ingredients than make the dish, so think about where to go for the freshest fish and seafood for a reasonable place, then plan a trip.
- Fresh always tastes best, but you can use frozen as necessary.
- Feel free to pick and choose from the fish/seafood variety below, depending what you love and how “fishy” you like your bouillabaisse.
WHAT YOU NEED
For the fish/seafood-
- 3 pounds fish, deskinned & cut in chunks – Choose from snapper, salmon, sole, haddock, cod
- 10-15 raw jumbo shrimps, deveined
- 10-15 medium-sized scallops
- 2-pound bag of mussels, scrubbed (or use 1 pound mussels, 1 pound clams)
- 15 squid rings
- 1/2 pound lobster meat
For the soup-
- 4 cans Aylmers Accents spicy red pepper tomatoes
- 1-2 cans stewed tomatoes (depending how much fish)
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 chicken soup bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- large handful of fresh basil
On the side-
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- loaf of French bread
Next page: Quick and Easy Directions!