Oh, brekkie. How we savour you. So why is it that delectable meal, the first taste of food to kick off the day, always seems to get short shrift? It’s probably because we’re in such a rush we’re already resorting to downing the quickie espresso shot on our way out the door, never mind taking the time to actually cook and then sit down for a meal.
So what if you could whip up a resto-worthy, nutritious, delicious breakfast in as little as five minutes (Shazam!), one that you can eat on the go, with virtually no clean-up required?
No, you’re not still dreaming (aw, too bad). Whether it’s your before-dawn fuel, a treat after a luxurious sleep-in, a quick and easy lunch or dinner, or even a hit-the-spot snack, we’re down for some hearty good breakfast food, and we’ve found a way to make it—fast.
No more scrambling for fast food that’s loaded with fat just because you were dumb enough to skip the most important meal. Instead, just use this gadget to cook quick favourites right in your kitchen. It’s the Breakfast Wrap Maker from Hamilton Beach, and it’s a bargain at just $59.99.
In no time, you’ll be Ms. Chef, creating meals for every palate—omelettes, burritos, stuffed pancakes, crepes, personal pizzas, and so much more. With just a few fresh ingredients (eggs, milk, veggies), you’re on your way to customizing a sweet or savoury brekkie just how you love it. Plus, the timer will ding so you you don’t burn anything and to give you a heads up when when your masterpiece is ready to eat. Huge Perk: The cooking surfaces are nonstick and all removable parts are dishwasher safe.
Need recipes to get you started? Here they are.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- Mint leaves
WHAT YOU DO
1. Place milk, buter, egg, glour, sugar and salt in blender. Blend on medium speed until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat Breakfast Maker until the green PREHEAT light comes on. Lift cover, top ring, and cooking plate.
3. Spray bottom of maker with nonstick spray. Add 1/4 cup batter, filling to about 1 inch from edge of ring. Swirl batter to coat bottom evenly.
4. Lower cooking plate and top ring. Close cover. Set timer and cook for 4-5 minutes.
5. Slide out cooking plate by rotating handle clockwise. Lift rings. Carefully remove crepe with plastic spatula.
6. Spread with 2 tbsp Nutella.
7. Fold crepe into quarters. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with raspberries and mint.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 flour tortilla
- 1 large egg, lightly scrambled
- 1 tbsp chopped green pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped red pepper
- 1 tbsp shredded cheese
WHAT YOU DO
1. Preheat maker until the green PREHEAT light comes on. Lift cover, top ring, and cooking plate.
2. Place tortilla in bottom ring of maker.
3. Lower cooking plate and top ring. Add egg and peppers to centre ring of cooking plate.
4. Close cover. Set timer and cook for 4-5 minutes.
5. Slide out cooking plate by rotating handle clockwise. Lift cover and rings and sprinkle with cheese. Carefully remove burrito with plastic spatula.
6. Fold tortilla in on both sides and turn over to serve.
TEST KITCHEN TIP: For variety, add crumbled cooked sausage or bacon to egg and peppers. Onions can be substituted for chopped peppers. Serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired.
To Buy: Check out www.hamiltonbeach.ca for retailers or to order online.