So Spring has almost sprung and there you sit in your oh-so-blah room and that’s when it occurs to you. It’s time for a decor refresher—starting right here on these four walls. Forget about paint. Now you can add both texture and colour to any room with a natural material you probably haven’t considered. It’s none other than grasscloth, the newest trend in organic decorating.
It’s easy to see why this classic wall covering from the hippie age is enjoying a major revival. Where paint can appear flat and one-dimensional, grasscloth makes a room come alive with warm sophistication. It has a panel effect in the room, making each piece feel handmade. Unlike traditional wallpapers, grasscloth is made from woven plant fibres. Every sheet is unique and varied, which contributes to its natural beauty.
It doesn’t matter if you’re into casual or contemporary. Grasscloth is so versatile, it swings both ways. Now where will your grasscloth go? It’s not right for heavy traffic areas or anywhere it can get wet. Best options: a bedroom, living, dining area, or large powder room away from any water sources. While grasscloth made its comeback a while back, it is really coming into its own this season. Nowadays, the look is heading toward the exotic, featuring:
- metallic treatments, to up the glam factor
- brightly coloured hues, to really make your room sing
- elegant embroidery for the ultimate in luxury, especially as a statement wall or in a small space like a powder room
- graphic and bold patterns, for the brave and colourful
- Adding strips to the back of your bookcases will instantly turn them chic
- Because grasscloth is typically wider than most wallpapers and not usually pre-pasted, you should use a professional installer for the best results
- To clean, simply vacuum with the upholstery attachment
So? Where will your grasscloth go?
Photos courtesy of Prime Walls