Nothing is hotter than Mexican food, and that’s why we’re all in, especially today. It’s National Taco Day and we’re celebrating with none other than a muy caliente DIY Mexican Fiesta Night—right here at home.
Taking our cues from the heat, we believe that quality food and drink can transform the spiritual well-being, just by being delicious. And so, we’ve got three beloved Mexican recipes you’ll be whipping up for years to come. Here it is, friends: Your guide to making great guac, tempting tacos, and classic churros you’ll want to make over and over and over.
DIY MEXICAN FIESTA NIGHT RECIPES: GUAC, TACOS, CHURROS
Grab as many avocados as you can! Our first, favourite (and oh, so necessary) kickoff dish is house-made guacamole.
THE BEST GUAC: SPICY GUACAMOLE
- 6 avocados
- 125 ml of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 jalapeño (diced, be sure to use the seeds)
- 2 teaspoons of garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons of cilantro (chiffonade)
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1/4 cup of red onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup of Roma Tomato (seeded and diced)
THE BEST TACOS: SHRIMP TACO GOBERNADOR
There’s no way we couldn’t be tempted with tacos for this feast. Here’s a twist on the typical fish taco, shrimp taco Gobernador.
- 9 Tiger shrimp (3 per taco, peeled and deveined)
- 2 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 yellow pepper (diced)
- 1 roma tomato (diced)
- 1/4 of a red onion (diced)
- Oaxaca cheese for garnish (available at specialty markets)
WHAT YOU DO:
Place the red pepper, yellow pepper, roma tomato, red onion and garlic in a stovetop pan on low heat, reducing the vegetables to make a delicious salsa.
Season with salt + pepper to taste. Add tiger shrimp to salsa, and keep on the stove-top until the shrimp are cooked, and the salsa is thick enough to stick to the shrimp.
THE BEST CHURROS: CLASSIC CHURROS
- 1/2 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 cups of water
- 120ml of butter (melted)
- 4 tablespoons of cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
Insider Tip: To make Fonda Lola’s yummy cajeta foam to accompany your churros:
- 2 spoonfuls of Cajeta
- 3 spoonfuls of 35% cream
Recipes and #MexicanFiesta inspiration courtesy of Mexico City expat and owner of Toronto restaurant Fonda Lola, Ernesto Rodriguez.