The older we get, the more we value our sleep. Maybe that’s because these days, a good night’s sleep is harder to come by (Hello peri-menopause!). Between night sweats, hot flashes, hormone changes, and the stress of daily life, a full night of uninterrupted snoozing is a rare thing. We’re sure you’re not surprised to find out that it takes most of us about 28 minutes to fall asleep, and that 26% of us report that we wake up still feeling (and looking) tired. We’re looking for all the help we can get.
Just a few nights of missed sleep can lead to dull skin and fine lines, and chronic sleep deprivation leads to dark circles and early aging. Nobody wants that, are we right?
Luckily we’ve found a solution that will not only help us sleep better, but will work with our skin’s natural overnight repair and recovery process to deliver glowing skin by morning!
Intrigued? You should be.
WHAT IS DERMALOGICA SOUND SLEEP COCOON?
Dermalogica’s brand new Sound Sleep Cocoon™ is a revitalizing treatment gel-cream that delivers active ingredients while you sleep. Enriched with motion-activated essential oils, this new player in the sleeping mask trend soothes your senses with aromatherapy and promotes a deep restful sleep and healthier-looking skin by morning.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Skin is best able to absorb active ingredients at night, so Dermalogica has combined active ingredients that promote sleep with ones that restore your skin. Smooth over your face and neck as the last step in your nighttime routine and allow the gel-cream to melt overnight. Ahhhh….
WHAT’S IN IT?
- Albizia Julibrissin Bark Extract (Persian Silk Tree) reduces signs of skin fatigue and restores vitality.
- Evodia Rutaecarpa Fruit Extract (Fruits of Wu-Zhu in traditional Chinese medicine) provides visibly radiant skin by morning and promotes a more refined skin texture.
- Kakadu Plum Extract, rich in antioxidant Vitamin C, is clinically shown to improve and brighten skin tone.
- Tamarindus Indicia (Tamarind Seed Extract) is a polysaccharide that cushions skin, creating a nourishing cocoon of comfort for softer, more hydrated skin.
- Encapsulated essential oil with motion-activated technology such as French Lavender oil, calming Sandalwood and Patchouli soothe the senses with aromatherapy to help promote deep, restful sleep for healthier-looking skin.
WHY WE LOVE IT
We’ve been smoothing it on for a few days and are amazed at the difference. The gel-cream has a light, natural scent that feels and smells incredibly relaxing. We’ve been drifting easily off to sleep and waking up looking—and feeling—refreshed.
BONUS: the jar is sealed and has a cool pump dispensing system, so no more sticking our fingers in to scoop product (don’t you hate that?)
TRY THESE EXPERT TIPS FOR A BETTER NIGHT’S SLEEP
Amp up the effects of Sleep Cocoon with these tips from sleep expert Alanna Mcginn, founder of Good Night Sleep Site and faculty member of the Family Sleep Institute.
Establish a Consistent Sleep Pattern
It’s important to go to bed and wake up in the mornings around the same time to keep your body clock in sync. When we keep consistent sleep schedules we are able to achieve the best restorative sleep possible. Signs of a healthy sleeper include; falling asleep in 10-12 minutes and not needing an alarm clock to force you awake.
Prepare your body and mind to sleep with simple bedtime activities like changing into pjs, reading a book, meditating and and practicing a nightly beauty regime. Sleep is a crucial part of maintaining our health and wellbeing, but it’s also important for our skin.
To ensure your skin get the benefits of sleep, invest in a great night cream. A revitalizing night gel-cream is a win-win for your skin as it not only works with the skin’s natural overnight repair and recovery process, but it also helps you fall asleep more soundly.
Protect the Amount of Sleep You Need
Adults typically need 7-8 hours of restorative sleep per night. We all have a certain amount of sleep our body needs each night. When we don’t meet this need on a regular basis we accumulate a “sleep debt.” This is the amount of sleep you owe your body. Determine your wake time and base your bedtime on that.
Understand What Tech Can Help You Sleep and When to Turn Tech Off
Give yourself a tech curfew, and turn off tech 60 minutes before bedtime. Bright screens can trick your brain into being awake. As this 60-minute mark is approaching, these tech devices and tools can help you get ready for bed.
- Sleep apps that play meditative music: Dermalogica is launching its Sound Sleep Cocoon widget, complete with step-by-step instructions for a good night’s sleep, and a restorative sound therapy playlist by NuCalm. It also includes tips and further insight on the science behind essential oils and overnight skincare.
- Sound machines: drown out external sounds and lulls you into deep restorative sleep.
- Aromatherapy diffusers: create a relaxing and calming environment to help you sleep.
Redesign Your Sleep Sanctuary
- Keep your bedroom dark. Darkness promotes our natural sleep hormone melatonin. Expose yourself to bright lights in the morning to help wake you up.
- Sleep (and sex) should be the only activities you do in your bedroom. Clear out the clutter to strengthen the association between sleep and your bedroom.
- To adjust to the springtime change, you can adjust your wake time a few days before the clocks change to 15 minutes earlier each day OR keep your wake time and bedtime the same using the new adjusted time. It takes about a week to adjust.
Buy Dermalogica Sound Sleep Cocoon at on Dermalogica.ca and select skincare centres, salons and spas across Canada.
Price: $108 (50 mL)