Remember when Grandma used to say don’t frown or your face will get stuck that way? Well, it turns out her theory was sort of right. You’ve got lots of muscles in your face just sitting there waiting to get worked. Oh yeah, there’s something besides Botox you can do to help keep your face smooth and sag-free. We’re thinking it’s time to squeeze facial gymnastics into our fitness routine. We work so hard to stretch and tone our bodies to look fit and fine for Spring – don’t ignore the part that’s always on show.
Let’s face facts: There are 50 (count ’em, 50!) muscles that make up the structure of your face. And according to the new book The 5-Minute Facial Workout: 30 Exercises for a Naturally Beautiful Face, putting those muscles to work with some facial exercises can drastically improve your appearance. In fact, facial workouts may even eliminate the need for plastic surgery. We’re thinking for that reason alone, the exercises in this book are worth a try.
Bet you didn’t know:
- Wrinkles are accentuated by facial expressions that are unconscious and repetitive (ohhhh, is that where those frown lines come from?)
- Facial gymnastics help to counter skin sagging
- A smile works more than 25 facial muscles and if well-stimulated, can correct a drooping mouth
- Working face muscles on a regular basis is so effective, doctors recommend it
- Over time, muscle fibres loosen and stretch, lengthening up to 50%
- Working on muscles in your lower face helps refine your skin, sculpt your cheeks, plump your lips and firm your neck
- Exercising mid-face muscles pulls up your cheekbones, rounds the cheeks and prevents crow’s feet and those bracket wrinkles that form between nose and mouth
- Working on the upper face helps relax your lids and prevent frown lines
- Men are lucky: Their skin is 20-25% thicker than ours and their hormones prevent premature wrinkling
So now what? Check out the book, written by Catherin Pez, a natural beauty junkie who teaches facial gymnastics, for the scoop on all you can do to keep your face elastic and firm. Each page features clear instructions, with a photo to demonstrate the movement you need to know to combat everyday problems like double chin and sagging cheekbones. But first, give your face a workout with these two facial firmers.
What have you got to lose? Besides wrinkles, that is. The 5-Minute Facial Workout: 30 Exercises for a Naturally Beautiful Face is available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble or any of the stores listed here. Photos Courtesy of www.robertrose.ca. Reprinted with publisher permission.